Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Well that's just absurd.

I was on my way home this evening.  I was driving north on highway 169 around 81st.  I was next to a truck when I noticed a child in the back of the truck with his head ducked down and the poor boy holding his hoodie over his ears.  The boy couldn't have been older than 10.  The truck was going about 70 mph, down 169, during rush hour!  So I called *55 to report it.  I had their tag number and everything.  THAT'S when I learned something.  The trooper who answered my call informed me that riding in the back of a truck was not illegal.  "But it's illegal to not be buckled up!?"  I asked.  The officer carefully answered that children under 6 must be in car seats AND it is not illegal to ride in the back of a truck.  Wha......?

2 comments:

melissa said...

He was right. 47 O.S. 11-1114(A): No operator of a motor vehicle shall allow a passenger to ride outside the passenger compartment of the vehicle on the streets, highways or turnpikes of this state; provided, this section shall not apply to persons so riding on private property or for parades or special events nor shall this section apply to passengers riding on the bed of a pickup truck.

Meg said...

Fascinating. So I can get a ticket for not being buckled in the cab of a truck but not for riding in the back. Wow. I've learned how to throw my seatbelt on in no time at all..but maybe I've should have been practicing how to jump in the back of my vehicle instead.